Thursday 7 July 2011

Today’s words – Shaggers, Gum boots and thongs


Well I got carried away with applications for a job and forgot to write out about the new words I have learnt. Not only that I had a trip out to Box Hill to buy veggies. This place has a big Asian community and a market place with fresh veggies and fruit that is cheaper than in the supermarket.
Well let’s start with the word ‘shaggers’. I first heard it on TV. There was an ad break in one of the programs I was watching and got distracted and just caught the phrase ‘shaggers on sale’! I thought now my ears are playing tricks .... is this a new symptom of my illness? But then I paid attention to the ads in the next break and found that shaggers were being sold at discount at Rivers shop. The picture put up made me giggle as these are Hiking Boots for women. The picture should a mid calf length pair of boots with a fur lining. Oh mybe I should go get a pair of shaggers for $25.
Well, when I got to UK I had to learn all about Wellies or Wellingtons. In Australia wellies are gum boots and saw gum boots written on the small kids willies displayed in a shop. This word, kind of, make sense as the idea of gum being water proof is probably the root of this term.
Oh Yeah now for thongs. I know the word to denote extremely flimsy knickers. Also that, thongs while being very popular can be extremely uncomfortable to wear. Here one wears thongs to walk about on the beach or out for a stroll on a warm evening. I wondered why does one need to wear a thong for this? Have a guess what this word represents……….. the rubber slippers which in UK is known as flipflops or indeed in India as bathroom slippers. But thongs represent slippers with 2 straps emerging from the top that sits between the big and first toe. They can be rubber or leather and are very popular in hot weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment