Thursday 3 March 2016

Batata Pauva




This one is an old and trusted snack that can be adapted with varied ingredients once you get the basic idea of making this recipe. My mother used to make it a long time back and while I really enjoyed it, I rarely made it when I started cooking. I am not sure why, maybe I mistakenly thought this was a time consuming recipe. The flaked rice / pauva, central to the recipe was sold in the local Asian food store so I cannot cite lack of ingredient as an excuse. No matter, I have finally got around to making it and finding it an easy and quick recipe that can be a snack or a full one dish meal.

Ingredients:

  •  A medium onion (brown or white) or large shallot
  • 2 small chillies
  • An inch of ginger
  • 1 -2 cloves of garlic (optional)
  • 1 tablespoon of oil (I used olive oil but you can use any cooking oil)
  • 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds.
  • 1 dry chilli and 3 cloves and a small piece of cinnamon stick (optional)
  • A medium sized potato
  • 1 cup of flaked rice (my cup is 225ml in size)
  •  Half teaspoon of chilli powder
  •   Half teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 1 and half teaspoon of coriander powder
  • Half teaspoon of cumin powder
  •  Half teaspoon of sugar
  •  Salt to taste
  •  Juice of a quarter lime
  • 1 table spoon of chopped fresh coriander
Method:

Place the flaked rice in a colander and wash them under flowing water. Make sure all the flaked rice has been soaked. Let the water drain out and leave to one side for the flakes to get soft. This can be done half hour prior to adding them to the cooking potatoes. I tend to do this before I start chopping up the ingredients.

Chop the onions, ginger and chillies finely.  If adding garlic that too has to be finely chopped.

Chop potato in small cubes for the speed of cooking and leave in a bowl with water.

In a medium sized pan (I use non-stick ones to avoid sticking of the ingredients for alternatively I would have to use more oil) add the oil and mustard seeds (you can add 1 dry chilli and 3 cloves and a small piece of cinnamon stick in the tempering for added spice).

When the mustard seeds start popping add the onions and chillies cook for a few minutes till the onions are soft and translucent. Stir as necessary to avoid burning the onions. Then add the chopped ginger (and garlic) and stir for another minute.

The drain the chopped potato and add to the pan. Add salt, chilli, cumin, coriander and turmeric powder along with the sugar. Stir and leave to cook. You can close the lid to create steam to speed up the cooking.

Once the potato is cooked add the flaked rice that has been softening to the pan. Reduce the heat and stir the mix together.  It does not take long for the flaked rice to warm up and since it is softened it cooks within those few minutes.

Add the lime juice and stir.

Serve in a plate and sprinkle some chopped fresh coriander on it to garnish.

This recipe makes a couple of decent platefuls.

Tips -
  • You can add a cup of frozen peas when the potatoes are half cooked and increase the veg content. I tend to do that almost always.
  •  You can add some walnuts or cashew nuts when the onion is softening to add a crunch and different flavour.  
  • The dish can be had by itself or else with some plain yogurt.
  • I have also served it occasionally with raita - plain yogurt with grated cucumber and / or finely chopped tomatoes and a pinch of salt and black pepper.

I hope now you can enjoy this dish as much as I do and try variations by adding vegetables or playing with the spices.


No comments:

Post a Comment