Thursday 15 November 2018

Visit to Leura


We made a small side trip to Leura on the way back from The Gully which is the next town from Katoomba and is on the tourist trail but we have never managed to get to it. This was an ideal chance as we were not rushed as we normally return by motorway and would be well in time to avoid any traffic jam.

We stopped at the car park in the local Woollies and took a walk up and down the high street, looking into shops as fancy took us. There was a Australian Alpaca Barn selling items make from Alpaca wool. Such soft and warm things – socks, gloves, caps, scarves, jumpers, coats – colour everywhere. The woolly cap which I liked and thought would serve me well in winter turned out to be pretty pricey. Maybe I will come back another day and get it as now we are moving into summer.

The next shop had knickknacks, jewellery, clothes (you know the hippy floaty kinds of clothes) and I saw some good dresses outside so popped in to have a closer look. Of course, I get drawn to these sheer silk kaftans like dresses – so light, so colourful, pretty prints which were kind of familiar. The shopkeeper seeing my interest said they are made from Indian saris. I said yes of course they are Kashmir silk saris as that silk is very fine and light. Another one which is pricey but I definitely will go back and get one after I have worn the dresses I have right now. Since I got the dresses out the weather has turned cooler – just my luck.

The next shop ‘Leura Fine Woodwork Gallery’ was selling carved wood products. Such beautiful bowls, pepper mills, photo frames, show pieces, sculptures, little boxes, tables and much more. I am definitely going back to buy a couple of frames, as I need to check on the size of the photos, I want to put in them. There were beautifully carved kookaburras and puzzle type boxes. All so tactile and I now really miss my collection of wood sculptures and bowls etc that I had to leave behind when I moved to Australia.

On to the next shop, just a deep breath made me feel giddy with the chocolate perfume in my nostrils. Josophan’s is a chocolate heaven and I have no words to describe the fabulous concoctions.  There were different kinds of hot chocolate and we got a chilli hot chocolate – maybe I can have some this weekend as it is going to be cold and dreary. It should cheer me up. Have a look at their webpage to see all the goodies. They also had a number of chocolate shoes, beautiful ones and also a chocolate corset with lacy design and all. Who would want to destroy and eat it? But the best thing was the new Ruby Chocolate. It is the first chocolate to be discovered in 100 years. Click here to find out more about Ruby Chocolate. It is every bit as smooth, fruity – raspberry kind, sweetness more like the dark chocolate. Definitely worth trying it. I got some little buttons and also slices with cranberry and pistachios. I must say since it is a thin piece of chocolate the cranberry tends to be dried up and pistachio does not seem to marry well with the chocolate as hazelnut does. I also got some individual pieces that shall be savoured soon enough. Walking back to the car we were happy with the purchase and mindful that the next trip would have to be planned soon.

1 comment:

  1. Remember visiting A picnic area with the name of Leura. Cascades or something. Delightful surroundings. The town, no. Well explained, Mayb next time.

    ReplyDelete