Thursday 30 April 2020

Amusing Observation of Life


I have always been keen to see what is happening in my surroundings which also makes me an avid people watcher. It is always interesting to see what people are doing and making inferences from just the visuals. A hobby I think I have developed during my childhood were a fair few hour were spend sitting on a high stool in the grill veranda over looking the road. As kids we are naturally curious and so it was fun to just see people going about their business, checking out clothes, and anything unusual.

Generally, in the morning I walk in the house or in the garden for my daily exercise. Yesterday it was grey and drizzling on and off. I noticed the people across the road taking their car out of the drive. Now where can they be going in this lockdown? Ah he gets out and open the boot. Out comes some gardening tool from what I can see. Their gate into the back garden is open and I can see the grass is knee high. I thought oh is he planning to cut grass in this wettish weather? When I return back to the front of the house (for I walk back and forth) I see him with a lawnmower outside the boot and a petrol can. So maybe he is going to fill her up and cut grass. But surely cutting wet grass is not the done thing as it will wreck the mower. Believe me it gets clogged and heats up and conks out as I have found to my irritation.

Back the next round of walk and oh what is this he is lifting it to try and put it in the boot. Now this is interesting so I stop walking and watch. He tries to put it mover facing into the car and the handle sticks out. The handle of the mower is set pretty high so difficult to fit in. Next, he calls his wife to give him a hand. Then they lift the mower up together and try to put the mower in handle first but of course this again is hindered by the high handle. So out comes the mower and set down. The back seats are dropped down to make more room in the back. In goes the mower again but now they find that while the whole mower gets right in but the handle is too high for the mower end to be placed flat on the floor of the boot. The petrol can and the top of boot cover is in the road outside. The man holds up the mower and starts hunting for something to fit under it to hold it at that angle. I am thinking why is he not undoing the handle as that is detachable or even adjusted to a lower height.
I am all but yelling in my head what are you doing? Let the handle down! Or use that petrol can …. Put it under the mower and it will hold the mower in place. 

The wife has disappeared into the house. Is she looking for something to use as a wedge? Oh no look! She comes out and gets into the back seat of the car and holds on to the mower handle to keep the mower in place and in the car. The man puts the petrol can and the back cover of the boot into the boot. Gets into the driver’s side and drives off. I resume my walk shaking my head at the logic of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment