Friday 9 October 2020

Home Remedies Menopausal Issues

 Once the oestradiol cream did its work, I was told KY Jelly was my only option if my drying episodes recurred. I wondered what have women done for centuries? Suffered? Or came up with home remedies? Surely women in families have talked to their daughters and vice versa, for am sure not everyone has a lack of sexual health care within their homes. As I have said before my sex education and information about sexual health was nil until I studied as a nurse and even so there is a distinct lack of enthusiasm of this topic in cultures like that of the Indian Subcontinent. This is what got me thinking and writing in the blog.

I thought maybe I should ask my friends if they have some handy tips as they are in my age group. Surely someone has had this issue, got tips from older women in the family for self-care. Again, I was surprised to find the reluctance to talk about it. I got one who laughed and asked if I was being serious? She was done with menopause and of course, she had no problems and does not need any care.

Another asked questions which was helpful as she was asking the right things. This was more of what the problem could be but focused on problems maybe with infection of urinary tract. Another came back with the name of one commonly used cream but with a rider that she did not have personal experience but got the info from a gynaecologist.

One came spoke to me separately but the rest just ignored the message. This friend actually talked about keeping the perineum and vagina clean and using a special wash which also helped to moisturise the area. Some others I spoke to were not reluctant to talk as long as it was focused on my issues. There was not much contribution regarding remedies.

One of my friends came up with some good information and I was pleased. She stated these remedies have been used by the ladies in her family and that she tells her patients about these remedies too.

  • Take a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds. Wash thoroughly and soak overnight in a small amount of water. In the morning on an empty stomach drink the water and eat the seeds.
  • Take about 5 -6 almonds wash well and soak overnight.  These will have to be skinned and eaten. The water in which the almonds were soaked should be thrown away.
  • Other vegetables which should be regularly consumed are fenugreek leaves, tindora (ivy gourd), moringa pods (cooked with lentils). These help in hydrating the mucous membranes. Moringa powder is also now available and a table spoon can be added to cooked food like lentils. I will have to check what other foods are useful too.
  • I do know soya has a high oestrogenic effect but I am allergic to it and so have to avoid it. Soya and soya products if you can tolerate will also help during menopause.
  • Apply a drop of olive oil which is thicker than coconut oil daily to the vaginal and perineum. When experiencing burning avoid using toilet paper, wash and dab dry with a small towel and apply the oil every time you pass urine.

So, I started the fenugreek seeds and almonds daily along with applying olive oil after shower and I can say it has been working well. However, a word of advice the fenugreek seeds can sometimes be hot for the body. Suggestions are to have them with some yogurt or not having it daily. I have reduced it to twice a week. Aside for the oestrogenic effect the fenugreek is good for stabilising blood sugar reducing cholesterol and blood pressure too. If a small amount helps with these other issues too then it is worth a try.

All these have been tried but one needs to remember that not every remedy will suit everyone. For example, soya is seen to be very helpful but I am allergic so unable to take it. Indeed, now a days most processed foods have some form of soya in it. So, try carefully, speak to your doctor if he /she is sympathetic and interested in holistic care.

1 comment: