Wednesday 14 September 2011

Fear is the Key by Alister MacLean

It has been a very longtime since I have read the books by Alister MacLean. At one time I had almost all the books. However, many years ago my parents gave away my whole novel collection. I had managed to buy Where Eagles Dare from a second hand shop but thats it. Recently I looked for ebooks and found all the books By Alister MacLean and downloaded all. Now am systematically reading through the lots.

First one is 'Fear is the Key'. The proluge sets the scene - a disaster which is the central point of the whole novel. The main character appears to be a criminal and killer when the story starts. He starts by killing the police guard in the courtroom and kidnapping a wealthy young lady. I like the elaborate plot lines which weave together nicely. As the story progresses it become clear that the main character John Talbot is not all what he has been potrays to be. Neither is the man who has stopped him and taken him to young lady's father, seemingly to get reward money. Here John's expertise as an underwater salvage person is required. Is the rich General up to something shady or is it the smooth talking Mr Vayland and his killer henchman Royale who have him co-operating under duress? The suspense is well maintiained even though issues come to light clarifying issues slowly. There is subtle humour in the words and thoughts of John.

A beautifully written book and am sure many futur authors studied the way Alister MacLean crafted his plots as I have yet to come acorss anyone who has tighter plot and storyline. There are no loose threads or scences that do nto lead anywhere. I knwo that this bok was flimed but I always find the books better as I can use my imagination and since I have not read this book in about 30 years it was like reading it for the first time. A real pleasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment