Wednesday 18 April 2012

Death Asks the Question by John Russell Fearn


This is the second book by John Fearn that I have read. The title sounded interesting and the abstract was also intriguing. I thought it would be a similar to the last one, the Shattering Glass, which kept me reading.
The story began with a large house and an old man in it who was insanely plotting to get his hands on the money his niece had inherited. As I read I realised this was a book of short stories as the tale ended pretty fast. The common theme of all the stories was that dastardly deeds had been done. Gruesome murders committed by individuals described in some detail in each tale. In each case the end comes from seemingly supernatural intervention. But it brings to mind the maxim that, ’what goes around comes around’. It was a fair read to pass the time of the day but not what I would call a must read. The horror is in too short a burst, in each tale, to really horrify the reader….

No comments:

Post a Comment