Wednesday 30 May 2012

Change


I was doing well
Life was swell
Career was flourishing
A PhD I was wishing
Dreams of developing theory
Helping learning online to the weary
Presenting at conferences everywhere
Accolades from fellow researchers there
Then I got ill
Body would not do my will
Everything fell apart
Work, study and family torn apart
Cannot understand what is happening?
Why is it happening?
Make this pain go away
The feelings of despair away
Cannot do anything without pain
What’s the point or gain?
A long time to grieve, to let go
A real battering of ego
Loads of drugs to help and harm
Not always working the charm
Eventually it dawns
That this is the new dawn
Rethinking and reflecting on the needs
Channelling of energy into creative feeds  
Life is much slower
But surely it is smoother
Making time for feeding the soul
While keeping keeping the body whole
Now I battle the cold instead of heat
It’s the summer I would like to greet
A professional turned housewife
But some days can barely wield a knife
Gardening for the first time
Joy of growing vegetables first time
Mowing the lawn
Strangely does not raise a frown
Lazy time in sun reading
Why would I be complaining?
So many new friends I have made
Long list to wade
To help and support
Ideas from each other to import
Learning to adapt and change
Who says an old dog cannot change?
In my head the chant - faster faster
In my body the chant - slower slower
I took ages to learn
I cannot, the candle at both ends, burn
The learning of contentment
A once strange sentiment
Quality of life is what matters
Being alive is what matters
People who love you stand by
Others are just passers by
Being ill made me learn
Everything I do not have to earn
I have found again the fun in me
I did not even know I had lost me
I am so different
But am I really different?









No comments:

Post a Comment