Sunday 3 June 2012

Here Comes the Monsoon


The summer is always hot and dry
Temperatures soar high
On the pavement an egg you can fry
Lassitude from the heat makes you sigh

Everyone is waiting eagerly
To welcome the monsoon
To see the storm clouds gathering
To feel the coolness of rain soon

As the day grows old
Shadows made by the clouds
The sun becoming paler gold
Skies being darkened by the clouds

The breeze picks up slowly
The leaves begin to rustle
The wind soon whispers secretively
The flora also start doing the hustle

The first drop of rain
Earth welcomes the first drop
The dry earth ready to soak up the rain
Drop follows another drop

The smell of the wet earth
Makes you take a deep breath
The sweet smell of moistening earth
The dampening coolness filling your breath

The drops grow in size, big and fat
The downpour starts to increase
The rain collects in puddles fat
Looking like it will not cease

I rush out on to the rain
On to my terrace
To dance with joy in the rain
The cooling rain on my face

The joy of leaping about
The laughter at the fun
Of kicking the water spraying about
Seeing if you can get wetter at a run

When I see the first drops of monsoon rain
When I see the kids leaping in the rain
The joy of getting wet wandering in the rain
It takes me back to my childhood in the rain

Making me smile all over again
With the remembered joy again
Making me hum again
I am singing in the rain…. again





No comments:

Post a Comment