Friday 1 November 2013

Trip to the Market



A lazy afternoon was predicted by me
Little did I know for I did not foresee
An outing to nearby fruit and veg market
The produce is truly varied in this market
The varieties of potatoes and onions are many
The red tomatoes from fist size to tiny
The cabbages are occupying half a row
The bigger than footballs they have managed to grow
Carrots, cucumbers and zucchinis
Fennel, egg plants and moolis
The leafy vegetables and herbs are bright green
In bunches or heaps with a nice fresh sheen
The oranges, apples, mangoes and berries
Plums, peaches, nectarines such diversities
Past the fruit and veg are the cheeses
Hard, soft, goat’s, sheep’s, buffalo’s cheeses
Catering for cold platter as well as cooking with cheeses
Such a delight to see the feta, haloumi and ricotta cheeses
I always pick up something different to try
This time it was haloumi with chilli flakes to try
Row upon row of all sizes of pickle bottles
Olives, anchovies, sauerkraut, onions and gherkins in bottles
The range of sauces and spices, grains and oils occupying all the space
Catering for the multicultural populace
The breads and biscuits from far and wide
The nuts and sweets are all down one side
There is also a meat counter but I would not know
How to sing the praises of what I do not know
This market is such fun
I find something new to wonder with each run
Many products I have not managed to mention
Just because there are too many to mention
No wonder I spend a lot on impulse buy
For to try new things one must not be shy
What a nice way to spend an afternoon
Cannot wait to go again soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment