Monday 24 January 2011

The Flight to Oz


The Singapore airlines flight to Singapore was on time. It was the A380 plane and fairly comfortable. Paul found he had plenty of leg room. We did get another dinner but I just had some fruit and water. After that the lights were dimmed and were kept that way for most of the time. I spent time watching Megamind and Adventures of Adele…. A French film that is a good fantasy. Also saw part of a comedy stand up show. I did manage to have an odd dose rather than a good sleep. This left me with a headache. The breakfast was actually good, upma, some channa dal, potato veggie, half paratha, fruit and the usual small roll with tea. Landed at Changi airport after 12 and half hours of flight.
We had a 2 hour break here and luckily the next flight was from the same terminal and so did not need to take the monorail between terminals. I had to change my woollen socks for the thin ones given on the plane as my feet were getting too warm and swollen. Then, we had a short walk up and down the concourse, to stretch the legs. We wondered why the whole floor was covered in carpet and that too looked like a single piece. Veryyyy big carpet….
Soon we boarded the next flight, the final leg of 7 hours to Melbourne. This time I put on the bollywood songs instead of movies and so had a bit more sleep. Again had a meal… which we actually enjoyed. Over all the service in Singapore airlines is good. I did not have to call for service even once. Almost every half hour to hour the stewards came around with drinks to keep all hydrated. Actually we were going to be early but someone took ill and we had to delay the take off to off load them and their baggage.
Landed at 7 30 am. Worrying that I had got medication to declare and how would that go….There were separate lines at immigration… Paul had a new passport and so he could use a fast track process and was out in 2 mins. Meanwhile I had a longer queue but it moved fairly fast. All I got asked was what exactly I was declaring? I said medication and I had the prescription. The baggage was already coming out on track 5. Both bags came almost at once. As we piled them on the trolley and moved towards the exit a customs officers came over and asked if we had anything to declare. Again I said medications and he told us to go towards exit and we would be told where to go. This left us wondering if we would have all our bags looked through. Also we could see there were x-rays for bags set up too. One lady asked us to stand against the wall and a sniffer dog went over us and our luggage. After which she just waved us towards the exit. There was no checking on our bags for the medications I declared. Hurrayyy, as we got out to the arrivals lounge in about 40 mins. Very quick I believe as Ranjit who was picking us up was stuck in traffic and was sure he would have time to get to airport before we got out.

No comments:

Post a Comment