Thursday 18 August 2011

Day starts with good intentions


Today started with good intentions. The sun rose this morning unlike yesterday when it was cloudy and rained all day. Seeing the sunshine I bounced out of the bed all eager for a warm sunny day. Thought since the sun is out I have to do some washing. So put the machine on right away so that if the rain that was forecast came my clothes would have had time to dry in the morning sun and breeze.
Next I decided that since it was sunny and I was not going out hair needed a wash. Generally these days I let my hair dry naturally instead of using a hair drier. Hair drier always seem to make hair frizzy and hard to manage. Letting it dry naturally in the sunshine was something I enjoyed during summer time in UK. Here I find it is easy to do that all the time just as long as I do not wash the hair on a wet day. It feels good to wash hair as it lighten the head and the massage when washing helps to ease the tension in the scalp.
Then I had a second cup of tea while checking my mails and facebook. Next on the agenda was sweeping the house. There were a few things I needed to chase up like when the rest of my furniture was going to be delivered and the when was someone going to come and spray a protective chemical over my sofas? The sun shine came and warmed my bones and feet. Suddenly I was hit by this tremendous lethargy. It often happens that way. Sometimes I wake up with it as in I am tried when I wake up and find it difficult to get moving. But today I was looking forward to doing some housework. The clothes were washed and hung out to dry but sweeping suddenly felt like a huge chore. I cannot even think when I get hit by this lethargy. The phone calls were a must but even they took me about an hour to get done. I had to look for the bills and the phone numbers and make the calls. The calls actually took 5 minutes, and hunt for the bills was another 5 minutes but the rest 50 minutes was to get myself going. Have to talk to myself sternly and scold to make a move.
Thus sweeping fell by the wayside. However the important things got attended. At lunch there was another battle with myself to get up and make something. Last few days my stomach has not been behaving well and so food has been sporadic during the day and snacky. The way I convinced myself to move is that I needed to cook something so that there would be something for my husband’s lunch. See am taking this being housewife quite quite seriously. So eventually, I made some poha with potatoes and peas in it. Like when I am impatient everything takes longer, the potatoes though chopped small took ages.. and am sure the bottom of the pan has got singed. However, the taste was good as I had put lots of chilli powder and lemon juice to make it hot and tangy as well.
While that was cooking, I brought the washing in as there was a short burst of energy with the food in sight. I had also planned to do some writing and but lethargy makes it hard to think of a topic to pen. Then thought let me write about when lethargy strikes so that people understand why some days I can do nothing and whatever I do I cannot do it right either. For a long time I also thought I was just being lazy but have finally realised this is a part of my disease. Some days are like that when I cannot do anything and so on days when I am full of beans I can accomplish a lot more. This is something, on reflection, I am normally like. During my working life there were always a few days every few months when I was unable to concentrate and work hard. During this time I adapted my working to carry out reading and research, network with colleagues and just refresh myself. This effect has not manifested in lethargy days which thankfully are less frequent than they used to be. Taking the day as it comes is a lesson that I took a long time to learn. So here is to the good intentions with which all should at least start the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment