Sunday 28 August 2011

Gujarati savoury flat bread - Methi Thepla


I love thepla. For the non gujjus it is a flat bread like paratha but with spices in it. 
To the basic chapatti flour which is wheat flour one adds a spoonful of oil, salt, chilli powder, cumin and coriander powder as well a big pinch of turmeric. 
Add water and knead the dough. Once the dough is ready roll out and cook like a paratha with a small amount of oil applied on each side while cooking.

Now I know this is not a recipe as that has been done by many people. For example there is a YouTube video about making thepla. Tarla Dalal has a slightly different version with yoghurt added into the dough to give it a nice sourness. While I do love this plain version of thepla and have it with yoghurt or plain potato sabhji or indeed with sweet mango pickles like chhunda and gol kari. Now the hyperlinks will get you to the recipe sites but I have not tired making them myself and only remember the traditional way my mother used to make. Now that I have some time I will actually give it a go and see if they work.
My favourite thepla are with other additions like either chopped methi (fenugreek leaves) or with grated doodhi (bottle gourd). With the doodhi it is always good to add yogurt in the making of the dough and sometimes mix a bit of bajari (pearl millet) flour in it. The methi or grated doodhi is added to the flour along with the spices and the kneaded into dough by adding water. Now I am planning to make methi thepla (sorry this is a gujju video) for dinner today and so thought maybe my friends would like to have some too! Thus the blog…. However I am well aware of my limitations as a recipe writer and so resorted to making use of the various websites and also youtube. Hope you guys like it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment