Wednesday 19 October 2011

Budgie Smugglers and Thongs

Well the spring has well and truly sprung Down Under. The sun has been shining and the sky is so very blue. Reminds me of the skies seen in cartoons like The Simpsons. Sometimes a few clouds float by or you can see a long vapour trail of the passing jet. The swimmers and surfers are out on the beaches already to have fun. The gardens all around have beautiful flowers with a mass of colours like I have never seen. Well there are so many flowers that are new to me while some are known from childhood. The variety of succulents and cacti are also aplenty. In deed I have started on my succulent collection with Kangaroo plant, happy plant and a new one which has oval leaves ending in a blunt point with the margins dark purplish.

Coming back to the topic of budgie smugglers…. took me some time to work out this slang which is actually in a TV advertisement. This refers to men’s swimming trunks specifically to speedo variety. It gave me a good laugh. The other word – thong, was the UK terminology for specific kind of knickers. Now I am not going to describe this as you can just google and find a picture. As for the meaning Down Under – ‘I am so glad to be able to wear thongs and go out in this sunshine’. Guessed it? No? It’s the flipflops (rubber slippers)!! So you see the link to warmer weather? Men are going to be out in their budgie smugglers and thongs… While women will have to make do with thongs.

1 comment: