Monday 10 October 2011

Johnny English Reborn


I had seen the first movie Johnny English and had found it amusing and so when the sequel was being advertised I thought it would be fun to see this one too. Seeing the ads on TV certainly made me think it was a good idea. However, just as it came out I saw a review on the TV and it was not so complimentary of the movie. But I usually do not pay much attention to reviews as I often do not agree with them.
So last weekend I watched it. Being a wet and cool day I was happy to stay indoors and be entertained. I must also say that Rowan Atkinson is one of my favourite actors. Except for his Mr Bean character I love all his work. For some reason even though Mr Bean has been very popular I find it hard to laugh at that. Now give me his bumbling police inspector in Thin Blue Line or the Blackadder series (particularly the last one set in WWII). I find that he has a good and timely delivery of the dialogues hilarious. Well maybe that’s why I find Mr Bean (a silent character) not so funny.
Anyway back to the movie, Johnny has been thrown out of the service as under his security a president was assassinated. He has been living in a Tibetan monastery learning to be strong through martial art and meditation. Then comes a case where an informer will only talk to Johnny. Must against her better judgement the head of MI7 (oh yea we have moved to modern times and have a female head of services) bring Johnny back into active duty. There starts the usual bungling approach to Johnny’s case management. Some of the antics are reminiscent of the Mr Bean style, and mostly anticipated. Not that the anticipated event can be less funny as demonstrated by the gags in the final moments of the movie. In fact that was the best laugh as the expressions are wonderful and making it memorable. If you are watching and start getting irritated with anticipated gags….. just be patient the last laugh is the best.
Oh yes when Johnny goes to a country house to play golf with a suspect I sat up in the chair as this is Brocket Hall in Herts. I have walked there many a times and yes the path for the ‘country walk’ goes right through the golf course. So when Johnny’s golf ball hits a woman walking it is funny. But the antic with the helicopter is so unreal as you suddenly have these trees (obviously in pots) standing in front of the Hall where before there was nothing!
But this is a spy movie and the good has to win over evil. The spoof works reasonably well as one can see elements of great movies with events like gold playing (seen in a number of Bond movies), going up to castles on top of inaccessible mountains (On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, Guns of Navarone) where trolleys have to be used, mind control drugs and so on. Since I did not have to spend huge price of the cinema ticket I was happy watching this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment