Monday 3 October 2011

The Great Re-Potting


Over the last couple of weekends we have had rain and so have not needed to water my pots every day. The very windy weather also was annoying as I have to keep running out into the garden to check on the pots. Twice I found my 2 large tomato plants lolling about in the grass. The soil spilt out and the small tray under it was all the way around the house in the front garden. I ended up tucking all my plants behind the big dustbins that we have. There is a smallish bin for regular rubbish and two big ones for garden waste and for recycling.
The potato plants are shooting up and even the fourth potato that I tucked into the soil later has got leaves coming up. The lavender plant has perked up after I put a tray under it so that it can get more water. The pot has soil that just drains the water away and without the dish under it the plant was not getting enough water. I had wished to put the plant into the ground but I think we will be moving soon so have left it in the pot. The coriander while delicate and lying horizontal in the windy weather have also grown with good watering. The basil at last seems to have 4 leaves but I am sad that only 5 of the seeds have sprouted. Did some of the seeds float off when I was watering the plant?
The tomatoes are more than double their height and have been propped up with sticks as they were leaning over and branches got bent when the plants fell over. All of them have got little yellow flowers and am hoping this means a good crop. The broccoli was up for re-potting as I could not put it off any longer. I got 2 long planter pots and filled up with soil especially for vegetables. I have too many seedlings and so planting 20 cms apart is not going to be possible. I have planted all the seedlings ( I cannot bear to chuck any away) and hope that as they grow I can think out the plants by harvesting the young shoots. I always buy these young vegetable which tastes nice just steamed or also boiled. When boiled I use the water as a broth by adding some seasoning. So I am waiting for a nice crop of some tender shoots and eventually nice full head of broccoli.
The chilli pot appears to be suddenly taking off. I had 10 seeds sown and one day there were some seeds from my green chillies which also got thrown onto the pot, so there was a mixture. AT first there were only 8 seedlings but now there seem to be a lot more. I think once they grow a few inches I will have to re-pot these as well. I have got a few big plastic basket kind containers which can be used to plant after making a few holes for drainage at the bottom. Maybe I shall plant the chillies in one of these. I am so excited that my plants are growing. I want to plant more things but am being patient to see how these grow. I have planted another 4 potatoes in the second grow bag as this will mean I have got the second crop going. The first harvest should be in November – December while the second one should be ready in January – February. Oh yea have got 2 leaves coming from 2 of the onions I sowed. The methi leaves are proving to be hard as I have got a couple of them having small leaves. One was dried out and I had to remove it. Fingers crossed I get something from each of my plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment