Monday 10 October 2011

Mere Brother ki Dulhan


This is a fairly new Bollywood movie and was told by a couple of my friends that it is a funny film and I should try seeing it. Then I was listening to Sunrise radio online and heard some people give good reviews for this movie. So last week I thought let me find and watch it. Generally I watch movies online from one of the sites that streams them. Sometimes one can see them in parts on YouTube as well.
This is a movie where one brother asks the younger one to find a bride for him as he had broken up with his long term girlfriend and wished to settle down. Since his love affair had fallen through he wished to go for an arranged marriage. The plot works its way through the young man Kush looking over many girls and depicts the classic questions and pitfalls of such activity. But eventually he find a girl Dimple who is very different from the other girls and think she would be ideal for his brother. The wedding gets arranged and all things required are done by Kush and Dimple. Having spent so much time together and learning about each other the inevitable happens as they fall in love. Now in the movies of old this would be the time for the couple to elope and the family to take up arms and the hardships a couple married for love face. Indeed the girl is all for eloping but this is not the way Kush wants to do things. Oh yea the old ‘we should do this the right way. I wish to take blessing from your parents’ approach of Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge is what Kush wants. One thing though irks me is that while definitely he chooses the ‘right’ even moral way of doing thing without unduly upsetting people, the way of getting there is extremely manipulative. Right up to the end the parents do not twig to the reality.
Now the dialogue is funny and there is lot of double entendre or is it I only thought that as public laughed (this was a camera copy by someone and so there was a side commentary from people around this person videoing). It was funny and reminded me of one of the best Bollywood screenplay writers Kader Khan. His dialogue always raised a laugh as they had comedic as well as philosophic value. It is nice to see a movie where there is just entertainment without the action, violence, and sadness that is seen in many movies. While I appreciate that serious films have to be made to make people aware of issues as well as to allow the screening of bitter reality, I mostly want to be entertained and want a laugh. There is enough sadness and cruelty, corruption and violence in the news and often shown TV series that I just want a laugh and fun when I see a film. This one allowed me to do just that. Light-hearted giggle and no pretentions of being a thought provoking movie. The acting is reasonable and Katrina looks pretty as does the girlfriend of the ‘brother’ Tara. The usual dance numbers and catchy tunes keep us entertained. Worth seeing and may be more than once after some time as I may have missed a few jokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment