Monday 11 May 2020

Vendhiya Uttapum







I am getting adventurous and my friends are gobsmacked at my enthusiasm for trying out new recipes. I am not a very good recipe follower and I have to be careful and follow it to the T for the first time.  This one is a recipe given to me by my long-time friend and she was pleased to see my efforts.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup parboiled rice or raw short grain rice
  • ¾ cup of tuvar dal (pigeon peas lentil)
  • ½ cup of urad dal (husk free black gram lentil)
  • 2 tablespoons of methi (fenugreek seeds)
  • 10 – 15 curry leaves
  • 2 table spoons of chopped coriander leaves
  • 1 finely chopped onion
  • Salt to taste
  • Oil or ghee to cook


Method
  • Gather the rice, lentils and methi in a bowl. Wash thoroughly and discard the water. Then add fresh water to about an inch above the mix and leave to soak for 3 hours.
  • Drain out the water into a glass and set aside for loosening the batter.
  • Add the curry leaves to the mixture.
  • Grind the mixed curry leaves, rice, lentils and methi in to a fairly fine paste.
  • Remove it to a bowl and add some of that water to loosen the batter. The batter should not be too thick that it falls from the ladle as a dollop. Nor should it be runny.
  • Add salt and coriander leaves to the mix and leave it aside to rest for 15 – 30 mins.
  • When you are ready to make the uttapum check again the consistency of the batter and add a bit of water if the batter has thickened.
  • Heat the pan and add a few drops of oil or ghee to coat the surface.
  • Put two ladles of batter from the centre of the pan outwards.
  • Sprinkle onions on to top of the uttapum.
  • Drizzle some oil on the surface and cover the frying pan with a lid.
  • Cook the uttapum in the steam generated till the edges come off the pan.
  • Remove the lid and flip the uttapum over to cook on the other side.
  • Check to see if it is done and remove to a plate.
  • Serve it with coconut chutney or pickle or podi.


Tips

Original recipe did not have onions or coriander so they can be omitted. I like them so I added them. Maybe next time I will add some green chillies too.
I had the uttapum with gongurai pickle




No comments:

Post a Comment