Saturday 8 August 2009

One day I shall have a garden

I have been to the west country for a few days. I like going there as it seems a different country... the pace of life is certainly slower than the South East of UK. It would be nice to live there I think. The sun was shining most of the time and the countryside was green and had so many butterflies and bushes with blackberries ripening. In fact this year there is a huge bush in our garden and there is so much fruit that it allows for fresh picking every day. The neighbour has grown cucumber, broad beans and tomatoes of which I was able to get some to bring back home.

This year I have also managed to get fresh mangoes a few times. Generally they are affordable during the season and they are from the Indian subcontinent. Very sweet and makes you never want to eat the tinned stuff ever again. Reminds me that when I was younger and living in India we always had seasonal fruit and it always meant so much and tasted much better since it was available only for short period in the year. As a kid I remember sitting in my slip with mango and getting it all over myself. The taste made me shiver with pleasure. Grapes are another favourite. I always remember big bunches of seedless grapes in the fridge and my eagerness to help my mother in the kitchen... as getting things from the fridge for her allowed me to sneak a grape or two! Guavas specially those from Pune were real big and sweet... yummmmyyy I always bought some when I went out at weekends from hostel. Nibbling at one to make it last. My mother likes guavas was well and I took some home for her during my vacation.
I wish we had a small garden at least. Am sure we could grow a few things... potatoes would be the first one and also some chillies. Tomatoes I know are fairly easy and any other veg would do. Maybe some herbs as well like basil, thyme, coriander. Another thing I would like would be lavender. I have in past got some and dried it, making a sort of potpourri and hung it the hall. It felt so nice as the scent wafted every time you passed by. mmmmmmmmm Am dreaming again.. one day maybe I shall have a little garden.......

2 comments:

  1. I suggest you watch the movie "UP" from Disney and I am sure you will get the inspiration to become a farmer. Did you ever ponder that the tastiest mango is from the neighbor's tree, so to make it reality you know what to do with the mango seed after you are done eating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well one needs some land first...

    ReplyDelete